Header navigation
girl writing

All about qualified overseas lawyers

The Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme (QLTS) has now been replaced by the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) which is open to candidates from all jurisdictions. Overseas qualified lawyers are eligible to apply to become English solicitors and requalify once they have successfully completed both SQE assessments plus the criteria below apply. Do you have a prior QWE that requires confirmation?

e.g. London

What are the criteria for eligibility to requalify?

1. Degree, equivalent qualification or work experience 2. Passed both of your SQE assessments 3. SRA's character and suitability requirement

Fully qualified overseas lawyers are exempt from any compulsory QWE requirements
law soc

You may be eligible for an automatically agreed exemption

If you are an overseas-qualified lawyer, you can apply for an automatically agreed exemption from the SQE assessments as long as you have qualified in one of the countries on the SRA's list and have the recognised qualifications. 

If your legal qualification has an agreed exemption, then you still need to apply for this by creating a MySRA account and uploading evidence of your practice rights in England and Wales and evidence of at least 2 years of professional legal work experience or equivalent. This can be overseas work experience but it must be confirmed by a solicitor qualified in England and Wales.


Should overseas qualified lawyers do QWE?

Yes, we think you should. Unlike other aspiring solicitors, overseas-qualified lawyers are not required to complete qualifying work experience to practice. However, we advise you should start doing your QWE while you are studying.

It will help you with your studies as you will be assessed on issues in your SQE assessments that come up in QWE. It will increase your employability to have some experience in this country. Prior work experience may also be considered when making an application for SQE assessment exemption and so we would strongly advise overseas qualified lawyers to start undertaking their QWE while they are doing their SQE assessments.

What is an equivalent overseas qualification?

For more information about an equivalent qualification, click the link.

woman white hair

What is an individual exemption?

For more information about an individual exemption, click the link.


Does prior overseas experience count as QWE when applying for an exemption?

If you have legal experience working overseas, this can count toward your two years of QWE when applying for either an agreed or individual exemption as long as your experience can be confirmed by a qualified solicitor of England and Wales and they are on the roll of solicitors. They do not need a practicing certificate. If you do not have any legal work experience covering English law, you may need to search for QWE positions in the UK to support you with your SQE preparation, especially for SQE2 which is based more on practical skills. 

Also, to support your employability in the UK, it is best to try and secure paralegal work as soon as you can, this may be within a paid or voluntary advisor position to increase your opportunities of finding an NQ position once you have qualified. 

What are the SRA's Character and Suitability Rules?


You can find more information on the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) website or at lawcab

Make sure you highlight any international experience you have on your CV.

Use your international experience as your unique selling point

Employers acknowledge the unique set of skills and expertise that overseas qualified lawyers and dual-qualified English solicitors possess. They actively continue to recruit this type of exceptionally talented individuals with a multi-dimensional approach to law and exposure to different jurisdictions and clients.

TOP TIP Our built-in CV creator tool allows you to upload your CV seamlessly onto the platform with space for dynamic content and showcase your skills and experience.

Need more help?

Looking for a previous QWE confirming service?