Solicitor Apprenticeship - September 2024
Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history spanning more than 200 years. We are proud of our history and are future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Role: Solicitor Apprentice
Reporting to: Supervisor
Hours of work: 9.30 a.m - 5.30 p.m
Starting salary: £26,000 per annum
The Ashurst solicitor apprenticeship is an exciting alternative route to qualification as a solicitor in England & Wales outside of our training contract.
The programme is designed to help school leavers kick-start their career as a solicitor with a structured learning programme. Alongside studying part-time with The University of Law one day a week, you will gain hands-on experience of a wide range of legal work. This qualification cleverly combines the legal knowledge required for a new entrant into the legal profession with the more technical demands expected of a junior lawyer.
The programme is structured around the level 7 solicitor apprenticeship, which includes an LLB (Hons) degree and solicitors qualifying exams. It takes approximately six years to complete and all study fees will be funded by the firm.
We will invest the time and resources into ensuring our apprentices are fully equipped with the tools for success in the legal sector. In return, we expect commitment, motivation and a genuine interest in helping our clients. Apprentices will be allocated a supervisor to provide them with quality training and opportunities to develop, as well as feedback and guidance.
We are now recruiting for solicitor apprentices to start in September 2024. The deadline for applications is midday on Friday 16 February 2024. To apply, please submit an online application form.
Exact responsibilities will depend on the department you join, but the types of tasks you can expect to carry out include:
- File opening and closure on case management system
- Document management
- Drafting invoices
- Producing correspondence and reports as required
- Preparing files and bundles
- Handling telephone communication from colleagues and clients
- Assisting fee earners with case load subject to close supervision
- Carrying out basic legal and business research
- Assisting Partners and Associates with various tasks
- Ensuring confidentiality and security of all firm and client documentation, data and information
- Assisting in the overall efficient running of the team
- Attending departmental training sessions
- General administration duties such as e-filing, photocopying and scanning
- As you gain more experience you will be given more responsibility such as attending client meetings, producing attendance notes and running parts of files
- Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies
The apprenticeship will be delivered by a combination of online and face-to-face training from The University of Law, as well as on-the-job learning. Assessment for the Apprenticeship includes exams, coursework and a portfolio of evidence.
The University of Law - Learning Provider
The University of Law is one of the UK's leading providers of legal education and training, and has trained more legal professionals at different stages of their careers than anyone else.
Essential skills & qualities:
Academic entry requirements:
In order to enrol onto the degree apprenticeship with The University of Law you will need to have obtained 3 A Levels at Grade C or above (or equivalent) as well as 5 GCSEs (including Maths and English) at grade C/4 or above. You do not need to have studied law to apply.
- Good IT Literacy, including familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
Personal qualities required:
In addition to a keen interest in the law, applicants must also be:
- A team player
- Enthusiastic and keen to learn
- Adaptable in approach
- Proactive and demonstrate initiative
- Able to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Able to multi-task and prioritise effectively
- Willing to take responsibility
- Passionate about excellence
Required degree level
- A level/CILEX level 3 or equivalent
- Non-law degree
Years of experience
- < 1 years of experience